Sunday, October 28, 2012

Salmon Fishing

I was invited to go on a salmon fishing charter this summer ~ the last time I went fishing was when I was a kid and we went camping.  And that was from a shoreline, not a boat.  So this was quite a different experience.

We drove down to Seward, which is about a 3 hour drive south of Anchorage.

This was our fishing vessel...
The Seward harbor...
Our fishing poles...
Fish bait...

And this was one of the salmon we caught...
The charters are great because they provide you with everything you need to fish.  They'll even bait your hooks as well as gut, clean and filet your fish before you get back to shore. 

Unfortunately I didn't get any other pictures than these because after I caught my first fish, my time was spent leaning over the boat bringing up my breakfast ~ apparently I do not have sea legs even with taking Dramamine.  Several whales were also spotted along the way but as soon as I looked out at the sea to see them, it brought back my motion sickness.  I had a lot of fun fishing and would love to do it again, but not if it means getting sick...I've either got to find a bigger boat, or stick to fishing from the shoreline... :)

1 comment:

Mary said...

It looks like fun except for the whole getting sick thing of course. :(

Clean, gut and ship is my favorite kind of fishing.