Thursday, June 23, 2011

Old Yeller & Murphy

I was not one of the kids in high school who got her own car the day she turned 16.  But I was able to drive one of the two family vehicles pretty much whenever I needed a car...it usually meant my mom was left at home without transportation but I think she was okay with that because it just meant her taxi days shuttling us around were done.  My preference was to drive our yellow Ford Courier pick-up truck, very similar to this one here, minus the awesome orange racing stripe.
I can't remember if it was a 1980 or 1982 (little Ford Courier trivia for you...they stopped making these in 1982, which I learned reading on the site carlustblog.com) (seriously, there is a website for EVERYTHING!!) but we'd had it since I was young...when we got ours (used), it did have the camper shell, but by the time I was in high school, the shell was off so it was just a regular old pick-up truck.  Instead of the orange racing stripes, picture strips of rust going up vertically on each front panel just behind the front tires...and THAT's what our truck looked like when I was 16.  Everyone at school knew who owned this truck.  Our nicknames for it were 'Lil Rusty' and 'Old Yeller'.

That's the only vehicle I've ever driven that was given a name....until now... :)

I've decided my 'new' Ford is being christened "Murphy"  can you guess why?
 This lovely message appeared on my dashboard as I drove home from dinner last night...

Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong"

I rest my case. :)

3 comments:

Mary said...

I had a Ford once long ago... :(

So sorry to hear this. Maybe it's just a light? Ugh.

ashley @ ashley's adventures in alaska said...

Cars are always doing weird and annoying things like that. I hope it's an easy fix for you! We had a truck named "Popeye" that I hated to drive around. It was terrible but got me where I needed to go.

Melody said...

whatever the problem was, it self-corrected the next day...our mechanic looked at it again and didn't find anything wrong - he thought maybe a sensor was just overly sensitive... :)