Monday, October 24, 2011

Healthy...'er' Brownies

This is another recipe I 'pinned' on one of my Pinterest boards...originally found at this blog scroll towards the bottom of the entry for the recipe.  This brownie recipe has NO flour and NO sugar in it...sound disgusting?  I was willing to give it a try although I was somewhat skeptical...and the price of the almond butter ($10.99...YIKES) at the store gave me pause and think maybe I should just get the $3.00 boxed brownie mix instead...but where's the adventure in that?!?
Recipe:
16 oz. Creamy Almond Butter
1 cup honey
2 eggs
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 of a 3.5 oz dark chocolate bar (70% cocao), chopped into pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1. Blend almond butter, honey and eggs in mixer bowl.
2. Add cocoa, baking soda and salt to wet ingredients in bowl and mix together.
3. Fold in the chopped chocolate.
wet ingredients blended
chopped chocolate
Pour and spread mix into a sprayed 9x13 glass dish.
before it's baked...it looks like a regular wet brownie mix
Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.  Let cool before cutting.
the 'after' picture - looks like brownies
It looked like brownie batter as I poured it in the pan, and it smelled like brownies as it baked.  But the final and most important test...the taste...
They WERE good...if you like sweet & salty combos, you will like this brownie - there wasn't a lot of salt added to the recipe but because of using the larger sea salt crystals you get a taste of it throughout the brownie...if you want a gluten-free brownie recipe, this is one to try...would I make it again?  Meh...I think the overall cost of making the brownies is what keeps me from being more enthusiastic about them...I'm not sure they're THAT much better than the $3.00 box mixes... :)  I guess I'll look for 'healthy' food in my salads and entrees and stick to the 'unhealthy' brownie mixes in the baking aisle. :)

2 comments:

Amy said...

Those look delicious! I love almond butter! In the interest of budget and curiousity, I wonder if they would be tasty w/ peanut butter too? :)

Mary said...

They look and sound so delicious though! They have almond butter on sale quite often at Sunflower, TJs and even target...I've purchased it for 2.99 a jar. Any chance you have any of those in AK?

I'm ready to come to Alaska any day now. ;) I still have my AC going during the day. Ugh. Snow in Denver today=ENVY. I bet they can eat nice hot pho.