Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Flying

So after a great day experiencing dip net fishing...it was topped off by ANOTHER great moment...I got to FLY back to Anchorage in a two-seater airplane!!
 my ride home
 Jamie, the pilot, getting ready to go
The drive to Kasilaf took about 2 1/2 hours...the flight home to Anchorage...40 minutes...and poor Alanna, in addition to driving home, got stuck waiting for the highway to be re-opened after being shut-down for 2 fatal accidents...she didn't end up getting home until after 8:30 the next morning.  Thankfully she had company...and was able to get some sleep in the car...even though it had 2 coolers full of fish...I was EXTRA thankful that I got to fly home ~

This is the Kasilaf 'airport' - I didn't get a picture of the sign...wish I would have...it was a gravel strip...
 from the cockpit...getting ready to taxi down the runway...
I have only been in a small plane once before...it didn't scare me...but I have to take motion sickness medicine anytime I fly...and I didn't that first time...so I got sick...this time, I had taken some medicine in anticipation of being on the boat earlier in the day...so I had no issues whatsoever on this flight thankfully!
 this is where we were fishing earlier in the day...above and below...
 views from the air...
this is the Kenai peninsula...some pretty nice homes located here...
 more dip net fishermen...
 Anchorage from the sky...
 the house I'm living in is somewhere in this picture... :)
 downtown Anchorage
 this is around 10:30-11:00 at night...
 the airport where we landed...not the Anchorage airport...one a little further north called Birchwood
 our runway...
 very smooth landing!!
tying down the plane...
Talk about a great Alaska experience!! 

7 comments:

ashley @ ashley's adventures in alaska said...

Your photos are beautiful! I love flying in small planes. It's the only way to get around Kodiak island which is a-okay by me. :)

Mary said...

Oh Mel--Alaska is gorgeous and what a view! Looks like you are having so many fun experiences! Eat lots of salmon.

Melody said...

Ashley ~ I'd love to visit Kodiak island sometime!

Mary - I actually had salmon for dinner last night and it was very tasty! :)

Amy said...

Your photos are amazing! Glad you had such a wonderful time! I'm impressed on the salmon eating. Have you had Subway lately? ;-)

Tiffany said...

PLEASE BUY LOTTERY TICKETS AND THEN FLY ME OUT TO VISIT WHEN YOU WIN! So jealous!

atvmtngirl said...

So beautiful, what an amazing adventure! You might just become an outdoor girl and end up loving it!! I love the large house in your pics...I think I could live there!

Erin and Matt said...

Just caught up on the last few posts. It really is beautiful. I am jealous of the light. It is now getting dark when I drive home from work :(. Summer is almost gone! I hope you get to enjoy a few more adventures before the weather turns around up there! Pam and Roger will be heading your way soon. I will give them your number! Miss you bunches!