Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Earthquake Park

I found Earthquake Park by pure luck the other day....and I was taking care of a couple of kiddos so after I picked them up from school...and after a stop for some frozen yogurt, we took the dogs for a walk through the park.  The park memorializes the Good Friday earthquake that hit Anchorage in 1964 and is located on the site where huge tracts of land (including 75 homes) slid into Cook Inlet.  It's the most powerful earthquake (9.2 on the Richter scale) recorded in North America.   There really isn't any visible evidence of the quake other than the plaques and photos posted in the park - but there is a nice trail for walking or biking...and there were some great views of downtown Anchorage with the mountains in the background...
 Aidan & Sidney...Duncan & Dave's new friends...
that's as much of a smile as Aidan is going to give me...we had been chatting the night before and when I asked him if he liked hiking, his response was 'No'...when I asked why, he said (with as much attitude as a 9 year old can give) 'because it's basically just walking'  :)   So I didn't bother trying to 'fancy up' our outing by calling it a hike...we just took the dogs for a nice leisurely stroll... :)

On a clear day, you could see Denali...this was my first glimpse of it (on a separate day as the day we were out was not terribly clear)
 pretty impressive seeing this massive peak when it is over 200 miles away!!

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

How many times can I say I'm jealous? Sigh. :)

ashley @ ashley's adventures in alaska said...

Earthquake Park is awesome! It's the perfect place to view McKinley AND the Northern Lights from. (Store that information for this winter when you want to see them but have no idea where to go.) :) It's so great to see you getting out and learning Anchorage and exploring it!