Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Homemade Granola

This is what happens when you only buy oatmeal around the holidays for various baking projects and fail to look in all of your cupboards to see if you already have some...


I usually cheat and buy the Maple & Brown Sugar oatmeal packets when I want oatmeal for breakfast, so the oatmeal in canisters does not get used up very quickly. What to do?? I definitely plan to make more Honey Wheat Oatmeal bread (will post recipe one of these days)...but I also found this old recipe from a college friend for making homemade granola - it's a very simple recipe...

Homemade Granola Cereal:
- 6 cups dry quick oats
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1 cup margarine, melted
- 1 tsp cinnamon



*Mix all ingredients together in bowl. Spread mixture onto sheet pan. Bake at 200-250* for 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes, until mixture is dry and golden brown. Add nuts, coconut or other ingredients to mixture prior to baking if desired. Add raisins AFTER baking if desired. Store in air tight container.

*I chose to add in some chopped pecans (about 3/4 cup) since I had them on hand. I also cut this recipe in half to make this batch.

I actually like to sprinkle this over yogurt or on top of ice cream more than anything!

2 comments:

Crazy Granny said...

I'm so glad that you joined the world of blogdom. I love home made Granola as well.

Mary said...

Been there with the pantry full of same ingredients.

Looks delish!