Sunday, December 4, 2011

More from Homer

There obviously isn't quite the same amount of activity in Homer during this time of year, and there definitely aren't as many visitors, but there is still plenty of fun to be had...
remember this 'lake' from Sept?  It's where many of the float planes take off and land...
well, this is what it gets used for in the winter months...
an ice skating rink for cars...
 sliding around, spinning in circles
 but thankfully no collisions

I missed out (happily) on all of the 'Black Friday' sales but we took advantage of the many small shops and art galleries around Homer.  There are many artists throughout Alaska, painters, sculptors, photographers, jewelry makers - you name it, they've got it.  This art gallery had some really cool wood carvings...these were two of my favorites...carved out of pine...
This guy greeted us outside another shop...
I stopped at the Homer 'Costco' again to see what Trader Joe's goodies they might have this time...here's some of my loot from this trip...
 I LOVE English toffee...and I thought the packaging was so cute too...couldn't NOT get some!
Peppermint Joe-Joe's...oreo cookies with candy cane peppermint bits in the creamy filling - YUM!
 I like apple butter - and adding cranberry sounded pretty tasty...
THIS almond butter was NOT $11.00 a jar, so maybe I WILL make these brownies again after all...
and finally, some "Glogg"...a warm, spiced drink sounded perfect for upcoming evenings...this is a non-alcoholic version but it will be easy to remedy that... :)

Here are some other shots from around Homer over the weekend...
 more waves...
 sunset
One nice indoor activity for the winter months?  Knitting...something I was able to re-learn over the weekend, thanks to Jeanne!  In the past, I've only made things using the knit stitch, never the purl...but she spent time teaching me that as well and I THINK I've finally got the hang of it...
 this is a basket weave pattern and will hopefully end up as a scarf when all is said and done!  The coloring on the yarn is variegated so will fade from dark to light like you see in the picture...
update...crap, I've gotten stuck b/c I made a mistake and don't know how to fix it...anyone in CO knit who can help when I get there in a few days?!? :)

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Beautiful pictures, Mel!! A much better weekend than downed-tree-fest, huh? :)

Melody said...

I"m still in the learning phase so no help here. Love your pictures.

And is Trader Joe's toffee not just the living end!?!

tinalee said...

Yay for Candy cane Joe Joes!! Homer is really beautiful.
has anyone cut up the downed tree for you??

Mary said...

Such a beautiful sunset and the mountains...wow!

Mary said...

And if you stick around until the 22nd I'll help you. ;)