Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Anchorage Daily News...Watch Out for Kicking Moose

Once I knew I was moving to Alaska, I thought it would be a good idea to start familiarizing myself with what's happening in my soon-to-be new world. I bookmarked the Anchorage Daily News so I could start reading up on what's going on in my new city.

Let me just say...the news in Anchorage is quite different from the news in Denver...for example:

"MOOSE KICKS WOMAN IN TOWN SQUARE PARK"
by Elizabeth Bluemink


A moose kicked a woman in Town Square Park Monday afternoon after she got too close to the animal and reportedly tried to pet it, according to Anchorage police.

The moose kicked the unidentified woman several times -- including in the chest and shoulder -- but she was not injured badly enough to go to the hospital, according to police spokeswoman Anita Shell.

Police were called to Town Square at about 4:40 p.m. and medics checked the woman and determined she was OK, Shell said.

Witnesses told police that the moose kicked the woman, in her 20s, after she tried to pet it as it walked by, Shell said.

The moose was spotted in Town Square throughout the day on Monday, feeding on trees. The moose was still hanging around at the downtown park after police arrived and the woman left at around 5 p.m.

"At this time, we are telling people not to agitate the moose ... to give it space," Shell said.

Anchorage police said they did not request that state biologists deal with the moose because the animal wasn't going after anyone unprovoked.

"It was just doing what moose do," Shell said.


I know I've got some learnin' to do in terms of life in Alaska, but even I know better than to try to pet a moose... :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog! I am so excited for you to be coming my way...if you need any advice feel free to give me a shout!

As for the Anchorage Daily News...OY...it is SUCH a biased paper that most Alaskans don't even take it seriously. They hate "big oil" even though it is like biting the hand that feeds them...never a nice thing to say about the oil companies (or much of anything else) unless it is a "true Alaskan" news story. Best to set up a Google news feed to Alaska being your "regional" subscription and you'll get a better feel for the place.

And yeah...if you know better than to pet a moose then you'll do just fine. ;)

K.