Monday, March 28, 2011

Multiple Choice

Here's a multiple choice question for you to answer:



Melody's plans to rent a Uhaul trailer to tow behind her Ford Explorer this summer are not possible because:
A) Uhaul has no more trailers available

B) Uhaul is no longer in the moving business   OR

C) U-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations. This policy is not related to safety issues. This is an unusual circumstance for U-Haul – we have built our success for over 60 years by saying 'yes' to our customers. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to working with our customers to find alternative options to help with their move.




If you guessed "C"...you win a prize (not really...but good job...you got the right answer).


UGH!!!  What are the chances that the ONE vehicle they have a 'policy' about towing is the one vehicle I purchased.  The extremely comparable Mercury Mountaineer has no such restrictions...it's essentially the SAME vehicle, just with a different name slapped on the back...So, now I'm trying to come up with a plan B.  My attempts to find another trailer rental are not going well...the option of renting a small moving truck is much higher than I want to pay and I don't want to have to deal with getting 2 vehicles up there anyway...I have ONE friend already committed to making the road trip with me, I didn't want to have to try to find more as well :)  The cost to purchase a trailer is not one I want to entertain since this is a one time use situation...so I'm looking at SERIOUSLY consolidating what I'm bringing up there and/or shipping up some of the things I wanted to bring which I guess isn't a BAD thing...but it's just nice to have some of your 'stuff' with you, if you know what I mean... :)

Stay tuned...

7 comments:

ashley @ ashley's adventures in alaska said...

Oh how frustrating!! You're so right- Mountaineers are the same exact vehicle as an Explorer. Uhaul is mean. :(

Tiffany said...

Ugh. How annoying! I would volunteer to go with you if I had any idea what I'd be doing this summer, which unfortunately I don't. I love a good road trip! :)

Mary said...

So that was their final answer eh? That sucks. Sorry!

Melody said...

Thanks for the support everyone! :) I'm hoping Uhaul will have some kind of waiver / exception they are willing to make - waiting to hear back from them...

kim said...

How frustrating and ridiculous! I hope Uhaul comes through for you in their "commitment to find alternative options."

When I moved to Colorado, I was too wimpy to drive with trailer. So I moved my furniture and a bunch of boxes in a an ABF self-storage "box." It's like those PODS you have probably seen around. It was convenient and reasonably priced . . . I don't know about delivery cost to Alaska but just an idea.

Leanne said...

Who needs all that stuff anyway? ;) I'm kidding. Dave is the 100thingchallenge guy, not me.

Melody said...

Kim - I did look at the pod option, it would be cheaper to do the small moving truck... :( Understandably I guess since Alaska is so far away...I'm still holding out hope for Uhaul to come through - I just want a teeny, tiny, small, 4x8 trailer is all...is that too much to ask? :)